Tuesday, April 30, 2013
This first photograph is a shot I took of a town lion in Aylesbury. The picture isn't dated but I think it was taken about 10 years ago. There are two lions in the town square and this is one of them. It's amazing to think that someone sculpted the cast of these great lions, imagine their feelings when the mould was broken for the first time and they were revealed.
Friday, April 26, 2013
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Monday, April 15, 2013
I began this blog on Saturday January 22nd 2005, that's eight years of blogging. I'd get fewer years for commiting a serious crime and a lot of relationships don't last eight years. My first post was a fairly innocuous one about President Bush's second term of office. What seems odd now is that there was no special introductory post.
What have I learned about blogging over the eight years?
- Keep posting
- Read and comment on other blogs
- Use drafts to capture a thought or idea that you think could turn into a post later
- Be yourself but be thoughtful of who could find your blog (I personally would never be explicit or too personal in my blog)
- No thought is too small or trival
- Photos and images help to lighten the page
- Use memes when inspiration is low but don't rely on them
- You own photos are more engaging than clip art (when you have them to hand)
- If inspiration is fading, challenge yourself (in 2010, I bet myself I could post 9 blogs a month)
- If your life is going though a busy or stressful period, it doesn't hurt to take a break (I moved house in 2011 and posted a lot less)
- Don't be disheartened by 0 comments when you start, keep going
- It's okay to change direction, change design, change name of your blog...but not too often
That about wraps up my thoughts on eight years of blogging. Come and celebrate my tenth anniversary in a couple of years!
I haven't had much time for catching up here lately.
For the last two weeks I've been working away from home a bit longer than normal. So the time really gets zapped.
Last weekend it seems a lot of time was taken up with watching movies as a family. We watched all 3 of the Toby Maguire Spiderman films, two Iron Man films and my wife and I watched Poltergeist. I think Poltergeist is still perhaps a bit too scary for my son (10) but my daughter (12) could probably just about cope, however I think we'll leave it at least another year. Kids have to grow up fast enough these days.
Aside from that, I've watched a second episode of Game of Thrones. Very good it was.
I also bought the first season of Alias on DVD, I think I've seen most of the first 3 seasons but I found it got more stretched and convoluted towards the end. The first season was good though. I haven't seen the fourth season, which I think was the last, so can't comment. I would watch like to sample some of it at some point but not sure whether it will be worthy.
I've continued reading my book, The Hunger Games. Almost completed it now. It's been a very entertaining read and is a book I recommend.
Now, to catch up on other blogs...
Monday, April 01, 2013
We also watched the first Pierce Brosnan Bond film Goldeneye. It was a good film, after the film I looked up who played Xenia Onatop (who kills men by squeezing the air out of their chests with her thighs) and I was very surprised to find it was Famke Janssen who played Dr Jean Gray in the X-Men films. It was good entertainment, as was Iron Man. we watched Iron Man this afternoon, my son thought it was an awesome film. We had a large meal on Easter Sunday lunch, of roast chicken and Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and lots of other stuff. It was all good, also we had sponge pudding and custard for dessert: good times.