Monday, May 02, 2005

Bank Holiday Rant

This is going to sound petty and vindictive. Here it is... I was at a car boot sale today, looking around and checking out bargains - yeah that's what you do at car boot sales STUPID! I see a few PS2 games I wouldn't mind having, so I ask innocently enough how much they are - thinking I might be able to pick up 007 Everything Or Nothing or GT3 cheap. The teenager I asked was old enough to sell the games and said 7 quid. OK, that's what I'd pay in a shop for a pre-owned copy with guarantee. Here I get no guarantee. It's a car boot sale so haggling is what people do. I ask if he'll take 4 quid for a game. But just then his overbearing mummy buts in and asks which one, I say the 007 one and she says no way - and begins to justify her decision by saying its a recent game (which its not). OK I say and walk away happy not to give her anything. My wife said she could tell she wasn't going to come down on a price even before I asked. What are these stupid people doing at car boot sales? I offered a fair price, I could have justified it if I'd wanted too (hell, it's labelled 007 but Everything or Nothing was not associated with any Bond film). The best thing to do was to say OK and walk away, which I did. But man, I feel sorry for the kid having a mother like that - it made him look weak. He was lanky and ginger too, that doesn't help.

No comments: