Sunday, July 05, 2015

Lionesses win Bronze

Well I stayed up to watch England v Germany in the third place play off of the Women's World Cup and I am so glad I did. They dominated the game in the second half and had a few chances that should have been converted but it's easy to say that when sitting on my backside and I'm not there on the pitch. The game was very physical, they need to be very fit indeed and they were. What a great feeling and spirit there is in the team. They were determined and chased every ball. The manager said they were awesome and he is absolutely correct. I was very impressed and they came away with a result - this time it was the right result. It was decided by a penalty, football can be a cruel game. But Fara Williams had to put it behind the keeper and she nailed it, with a great drive into the corner of the net - the goalie didn't stand a chance. What pressure Fara was under but she calmly did her job. A display of stunning professionalism. I really hope that this World Cup has raised the profile of the women's game in this country. It's England's best World Cup result since the 1966 squad, which was 49 years ago!

No comments: