Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Give Ken a break

There are 2 things that are making me annoyed at the moment. They are both concerned with the media reporting non-news as news.
The first is the "controversial" comments made to a Jewish Evening Standard journalist by the London Mayor Ken Livingstone. This should be between the two of them and is not a story that should be headline news. I don't particularly like Ken Livingstone, I have never supported him personally. He is an official and should be sensitive to any audience he speaks to in his official capacity. He would be wise to follow the same rules in private, however I don't expect that because he is in public office his judgement will be perfect always. The journalist should likewise recognise that as a reporter he should be objective and unemotional about the things he is reporting. I think a reporter should expect to get a bit of flack from people they are following.
It's a question of balance. The unintended hurt caused by Livingstone's words has been due to the way the event has been reported. No party is innocent here. But my point is that this is not news. It's going after a public target for the sport of it - something the British press like to do. I don't want to hear or read about it because it's all nonsense.

No comments: