Sunday, February 13, 2005

Reinstall thoughts

Trying to boot my machine just brought up a Windows Protection error. I looked in the bootlog.txt file and for all of my fonts I got the failure code 0016. Everything else was loading fine, it would boot into Safe Mode but not Normal Mode. I reinstalled Windows without formatting my drive and that worked but I had to reinstall all my drivers and applications but fortunately my data was all there. I was concerned about losing my Outlook Express settings. Fortunately, past experience helped here - I had exported my account settings to another drive so all I had to do was reimport these. I also new that my old email folders were in the directory C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\ but there were two folders in this directory - it was a case of going into both and identifying one with more than the default folders and copying the .dbx files into the folder that just included the default mail folders (also there as .dbx files).

No comments: