Monday, June 16, 2008

A Sunday in June

I've found this month a difficult one to blog. Quite a lot of things are happening this month, my daughter's birthday for one. She received an early present from her grandma. A new bicycle, it's bigger than her old favourite and its quite heavy. The saddle is as low as it can get and she can't reach the floor properly when she sits on it, her tiptoes do but not the whole of her feet. Yesterday, we found a great place to cycle: it's a track between two villages that used to be a railway line but is now a special track for cyclists. Some traces of the railway still exist, like the platforms but they are all grassed over and you can barely tell. It was a great place to try the new bike out. My daughter has fits of tears when she has to learn something new, she fell into a patch of stinging nettles and stung the side of her hand. I didn't think she would get back on the bike after that but she eventually did. Her next challenge was to push off and get herself going without me holding the saddle. After several miles and lots of tears and coaching she eventually did it and instantly brightened up. We went from despair to triumph and almost over-confidence instantly!

I was woken up with some excitement in the house on Sunday. I had completely forgotten it was Father's Day. The family congregated around me as I groggily woke up and found their expectant faces eager for me to wake up and seize the day. I didn't feel like seizing anything except more sleep but I tried to hide my tiredness. I was given some really nice gifts and it was a lovely surprise, I love my family. I couldn't go back to sleep but by the evening I was good for nothing, all that running after my daughter on her bicycle.

6 comments:

Tara said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter and happy belated Father's Day to you! That's so cool that they gathered around to wake you up. I could understand the grogginess too, though. Had a bachelorette party on Saturday night, didn't get home until 2:30am (I had been up on Saturday sine 7am).

FW said...

If I ever stay up that late I need about two days of sleep to get over it!

laura b. said...

Aw! Happy Birthday to your daughter...and Happy Father's Day to you. Belated, but sincere wishes.
You sound like a great dad :-)

FW said...

Thanks L.B. I don't always feel like a great dad, its nice of you to say so.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Happy Father's Day and Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter..I was always told when you fall off to get back on.. She did you proud and herself too..Sorry you were so tired on Sunday.. I'm sure it was all worth it....

FW said...

It was, thanks!