Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Roundup for August so far

We bought ourselves a DVD Recorder recently and for me its been like discovering video recorders again for the first time. I'm recording quite a few films and even though I thought our DVD collection was good, it's improving with the films I'm recording. I'm pleasantly surprised that so many great films are shown on TV: The Thomas Crown Affair (Steve McQueen version), Wargames, Unbreakable, Day of the Dead, Hellboy and The Mummy to name but a few in the last couple of weeks. This week I see that The Descent, X2, The Blair Witch Project, Terminator 2 and 28 Days Later are on. We did watch a strange horror film from the 1970s last week called Incense For The Damned, a vampire tale very heavily edited at the start - so much that it was quite comical. Not a film I could recommend unless you have some time to kill.

My wife bought me a nice surprise last week: Guitar Hero III for the Wii. My daughter and I have been flexing our fingers and rocking out in the sitting room. It's a great game and the controller works fantastically well. The music is great too.

I finished reading Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and now I'm reading the 4th in the Op Centre series (Acts of War), it's a very exciting read. I've also begun the first volume of the complete Judge Dredd comic strips. I always remember seeing a drawing of Judge Dredd on his motorcycle and thinking that his bike was really cool. It had spikes on the wheels and it was the first time I had ever seen that.

Team GB are doing well in the Olympics considering we are such a small nation. I've enjoyed watching the coverage on the TV.

5 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Having a new toy is always fun.. Glad you getting all the movies you want ...
We bought our daughter Guitar hero special Edition for her Birthday last month and loves it..it cacme with two guitars.. that way she can play with a friend..

FW said...

So its excellent co-op fun at your house! Great idea to get the SE version.

laura b. said...

You've been busy with your movies, reaing, and gaming...actual real life stuff!
Looks like you guys are doing really great in the Olympics, especially in the cycling events.

Tara said...

Congrats on your DVD recorder and Guitar Hero III! I see those in the store, but haven't picked one up yet. Now that it's easier for me to exercise, I thought I'd pick up Wii Fit the next time I see it.

FW said...

LB: Yeah, Team GB really did well in these Olympic games. Makes me proud!

Tara: I haven't used my Wii Fit for a few weeks, I know I've gained some weight since my last step on the board.