Sunday, October 05, 2008

What's Happening?

I'm not a frequent watcher of the news, I confess. I don't watch it enough. I like to catch up in general but I don't really pay much attention to the details. Certain subjects turn me off - finance, business, politics and economy being the main offenders. As you can imagine I've been turned off a lot lately, the US and UK economies seem to be on the brink of collapse. It is very worrying for poor dumb folk like me who haven't got a clue when it comes to finance. I just struggle by and try to make the most of what I have without taking risks - what I really mean is that in the day-to-day I don't understand what risks actually exist: in short, I take a lot of that stuff for granted.

Better for me to stick my head up my arse and keep listening to the music I love. I'm experiencing a new level of musical happiness with iTunes and my iPod. It must be one of the finest inventions of the 20th century. I've set up a complicated arrangement of smart playlists which have had the desired effect: basically, I wanted to experience my music collection as though I were listening to it for the first time. The way iTunes has put the songs next to each other in ways I would never have thought of is just stunning. The way I have configured it as well means I have my favourite songs cropping up when I least expect them, which makes them all the more enjoyable - just like when you're driving and a favourite comes on the radio that you can sing along to.

Hope everyone is well. The autumn weather is cold and wet and we are considering putting the fake fir throw on the bed to keep us warm and snug.

4 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I too don't bother much with the news and goings on of around the world.. I guess I just don't get it or choose not get it.. either way we are all being affected by what is happening..

Glad your music brings you so much joy and entertainment..

laura b. said...

I don't worry about finances on the big scale much, because I am not usually directly affected...and that is just how selfish I am! What is going on now seems like it could affect everyone eventually, but I still don't "get" it.
Music is a great pleasure and a great escape. I wouldn't want to have to do without it.

Tara said...

Thank you for this post, those subjects, especially politics and finance, do not interest me. Although now I'm grateful I don't have stock in anything at the moment, and I'm so sick of politics that I'm one political commercial away from voting for Ralph Nader.

FW said...

Mrs Hairy Woman: Yeah at least music keeps away the politics!

L.B.: I can't pretend to know what's going on. I find it so frustrating the way economics is explained to normal people. If economists were any good they would explain things in plain English!

Tara: Yes I bet you are sick of politics at the moment. The US presidential election campaigns just keep going on and on don't they?