Sunday, May 17, 2009

Eurovision 2009

Well another year and another Eurovision has come and gone. I just didn't feel as excited about it this year, don't know why that is. I did watch it and score the acts alongside my daughter who was doing the same. The UK song did well, within the top 5 I think - I wasn't paying too much attention to our entry because I thought the song was rubbish. There were much better songs, I thought the song from Malta deserved to win but it didn't really come anywhere near. The German song was catchy but having Dita von Teese on stage with them was a bit too gimmicky. I thought there were about 5 songs that would have made ideal winners, Turkey was the only one I liked that came close. The runaway song of the night was from Norway, I didn't think it was bad but I didn't think it was the strongest song either. The voting this year was shaken up a bit, or it appeared that way, so the political voting wasn't quite as blatant as it was in previous years.
In other news, I saw Derren Brown on Tuesday night last week. It is amazing what he can do with his mind games, I'm glad though that I didn't go up onstage. He does use a lot of the audience, I'm just not that susceptible to his screening, I'm always in the half that deselect themselves.
In film news, I'd like to go and see the new Star Trek and Wolverine movies but I don't think I'll get the chance to see them before DVD. I also missed the Watchmen film too.
Tomorrow I have the day off from work. There's a couple of things I need to do. Complete a job application, watch my son's sports day at school and collect a piece of mail from the post office. I hope the weather is fine for my son's class sports day. I'd like to cheer him on but tomorrow is the only day I could get, so I really hope the weather is kind and it still goes ahead. The forecast is "chance of rain", which gives me hope that there is a chance it might not rain.

3 comments:

Tara said...

We had a "chance of thunderstorms" last Saturday and all it did was rain just a bit. I hope the weather did cooperate for your son's game! What kind of job are you applying for?

laura b. said...

Hope you had fine weather after all. Here it has been quite hot.

I'm not familiar with Derren Brown...he's a hypnotist? I've always wondered what that would feel like.

FW said...

Tara: Unfortunately the weather wasn't kind and it was postponed a couple of days. Fortunately though my wife was able to go because she was covered a whole day but her course ended at lunchtime. I'm applying for IT project jobs.

LB: Derren's show does include some kind of "altered state" but I'm not sure he falls into the usual hypnotist kind of camp. He's very clever with words and is a wonderful showman.