Thursday, May 28, 2009

An expensive month in prospect

I completed my job application and was totally fed up by the amount of time it took up outside of work hours - I felt cheated that it was taking my free time but what else can I do? I stopped at a Post Office in a village I've driven through many times to post it. I have never called in at that Post Office before but it was truly lovely, that might sound like a strange thing to say about a Post Office but it was set way back from the road and had a small pond outside. Inside it was kind of a general store/Post Office and sold practically everything you might need from a village store. They even sold sweets in big jars, I love that excitement of seeing big sweet jars come down from a high shelf to be shaken out into the weighing scales. The village is really nice and has lots of trees, it just had a good feeling about it.
Monday of this week was a Bank Holiday, which meant a day off from work. The weather was really good, so I decided to try and put up the tent I bought last year. It was the first time we have tried to erect it. It's a 4 person family tent and has an inner (bedroom) tent that you can divide into two. I hope the prediction of a hot summer is right, I hope to take the family to a camp site at some point. The tent took a bit longer to erect that I thought it might and it only just fitted width-wise into our garden - so it's comfortably large. I just need to work on my wife because she's not keen on camping, I love it (for a few days) because it's such an alternative way of life.
I've been hoping to replace my slow, ageing PC with a new laptop this month but yesterday I had to get some new tyres. I've been driving around with a screw in my front tyre for a few weeks and it has been praying on my mind. I eventually got it sorted but I needed two new tyres. They aren't cheap are they? They also called me up during changing my tyres to say I need new brake pads urgently. Also I have my MOT and annual service check in just over a week, so I won't be able to afford my new laptop this month and next month I'll be paying for our family holiday - so basically bye bye laptop until August/September and by then I'll be thinking of Christmas. I'm also considering selling my car for a smaller, cheaper model - I'll let you know how that goes.
Today, I have a day off from work. We're going to see Monsters vs Aliens with the kids after lunch, for lunch we're going to a nice pub that sells good food and this evening just the two of us are going to go and see a Swedish horror film called Let The Right One In - fortunately we managed to get a babysitter. Don't know how scary the movie is meant to be because I haven't read any reviews of it.

3 comments:

Tara said...

No, tires are definitely not cheap. Have to practically give up one of your kidneys, PLUS an arm and a leg. My tires are about a year old, maybe a bit older. I wanted to get the ones that were on sale but, what do ya know, they were out of them. Grr. Anyway, I do feel safer riding on good tires.

That tent sounds like the kind our family had a long time ago. I don't mind camping either, if it's not for too long.

Oh and that post office does sound unique and pleasant! All mine sells is postage items.

laura b. said...

It seems that it is always something, as far a money goes.

A camping holiday sounds really nice, especially with a roomy tent like that.

Maybe in August or Sept. you can think of the laptop as an early Christmas present to yourself...

FW said...

Tara: The tyre place always convinces me to get the tracking done, which is like another 60 pounds - I think its a bit of a rip off. I did get a deal on the tyres but even so, they were still expensive considering they're ordinary tyres.

LB: I'll have to do some research for that camping trip. I've given up on the laptop, at least for a while.