Saturday, September 19, 2009

Weekend thoughts

A sequel to The Da Vinci Code was published this week, I didn’t read the first book but my wife did buy a copy of it. She gave up after a few pages. It is weird how extraordinarily popular a book can become even though (I bet) a large percentage of its buyers never finish it. I don’t know why but I don’t normally buy or read books that sell millions:

  • chicken soup for the soul
  • men are from mars women are from venus
  • the da vinci code
  • 7 habits of highly effective people
  • how to win friends and influence people

Have you ever bought a really popular book that failed to live up to its promise?

4 comments:

laura b. said...

I tend not go in for self-help book...mores the pity, I suppose. And I'm NOT a Dan Brown fan.

One book I had high hopes for, that were so not met, was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Doesn't it sound awesome? It wasn't.

FW said...

I thought Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snoggging sounded like a good read but I would have been too ashamed to buy it!

laura b. said...

But that is the beauty of shopping online! Only thing to judge is if your credit card goes through :-)

FW said...

Good point! It's worth noting that I don't normally buy my books online, books and clothes seem to warrant a trip to the store with me.