Monday, April 16, 2012

Improv

How are your improv skills? Can you think on your feet?


This is one of those blog memes. I thought I'd give some of these things a try as I've been absent from blogging for a while. 


One of the games I enjoyed as a child was Charades. I like games where I have to think on my feet. Pictionary is good for that too. I enjoyed creating characters as a child, I would often record myself with an old cassette recorder putting on funny voices etc. If I can be creative or imaginative when thinking on my feet I'm strong at it, however I'm not so good at thinking on my feet on practical matters. I'd be no good in a crisis for example. So for me, it's a bit of a mixed picture: I'm good at times at improv and other times I'm just not.
I did enjoy the comedy series Whose Line Is It Anyway? and when it first came out I thought it was hilarious, but I think comedy improv wears a bit thin after a while. On the stage, I know that some apparent improvisations are actually scripted but they always seem to amuse the audience anyway. 

4 comments:

silly rabbit said...

I am terrible at improv and Charades.
My mind just goes blank. But I can draw, so Pictionary is a good game for me. I do like games where I get clues and can guess.

Tara said...

Hey, welcome back!

I still love to play Pictionary. A few of my coworkers and I played on a quiet day before Christmas, when classes weren't in session and we were all burned out. It was so much fun. We ate potato chips (I think you call them "crisps" across the pond) and dip and played Pictionary.

That's great that you recorded yourself. Do you still have any of the recordings?

FW said...

Silly rabbit: Welcome! I've always liked playing Pictionary - I think I do prefer it to charades but it is close.

Tara: Thanks, yes we call them crisps and they are a great snack food when you're having fun.

I might have some recordings somewhere on that old stuff called tape cassettes - remember those? My car still has a tape deck but nowadays the only cassette I insert into it has a wire that leads to my iPod. Funny how times change.

Tara said...

I definitely remember the days of the cassette tape and still have some in my collection!

That reminds me of a recurring dream I used to have where I discover a whole shoebox filled with cassette tapes I recorded on, and I remember being ecstatic about it. Nowadays I use minicassettes to record stuff for fun.