Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Michelle McManus

I just watched a show about the Gillian McKeith healthy lifestyle plan and her tutelage of Mammoth Michelle McManus as the narrator dubbed her. I actually thought the commentary was a bit condescending and that they repeatedly showed the before version of Michelle in bathing suit. I thought it was noticeable that they didn't show her in bathing suit afterwards, she wore some kind of middle age skirt and blouse ensemble at the end as Gillian gushed at how far she had come to lose 5 stone in 5 months. It's a big achievement (the narrator would deliberately emphasise BIG at this point) but the point is surely that its got to be a long term change, afterall she can't go on losing weight at the same rate. The programme concentrated far too much on the reasons for starting and not enough on what fish she eats now, the type of exercise she is doing and how she prepares and stores food. The McKeith plan is an expensive regime, I think. It's OK if you have the time for the gym but most people don't have time to go to the gym everyday. I know it has to be a lifestyle change and I guess what I'm saying most people can't make the change as radically as somone as well off as Michelle. Even Michelle's veggie flat mate said she wouldn't have the strength to do what Michelle is doing. I'm sure the fact that the camera is on and she is recording what she is doing has a positive pyschological effect.

No comments: