Monday, November 10, 2008

Back To Monday

In some ways, the familiarity of a return to work after a weekend is a nice thing but mainly it just reinforces the sense of oppression I feel in having to perform a function from 9 to 5 to earn enough money to maintain a home and sustain a quality of life. When its cold, wet and grey outside it just doesn't make it any easier. Its one of those weeks when Monday could have got off to a better, cleaner start, rather than moody silence.

This weekend I had the chance to laze in bed on Sunday morning, great! I watched the Stallone version of Judge Dredd. I was watching it to really give it another chance; I've seen it before and it didn't spark my interest. However, this time I thought that while it could have been cast better and the storyline made too many concessions to Hollywood, overall I enjoyed it better than I thought I would. The motorbikes the judges ride were laughable though, they should be fearsome machines but in the film they come across as no more fearsome than a Shop-Mobility cart!

It was a bit of a film-frenzy for me this weekend actually, as I watched Hot Fuzz and Daredevil. Three films I enjoyed the second time around more than the first; that's what these all have in common. It's good to have films on DVD in your closet so that you can go back to them and re-watch. Tonight, I'll be recording the film Underworld off the TV, I have a VHS copy but since our videoplayer is under the bed now we don't bother watching videos anymore. It's a bit of a shame I know but over the last couple of years we have been downsizing - the TV has become an LCD flatscreen and we have got rid of the DTV receiver (incorporated into the TV) and the video player: so we are nice and light with only a DVD player attached (aside from the Wii and Xbox360 consoles - but they're hidden away almost out of sight). I have considered converting my VHS tapes into DVDs but the time it would involve makes it cheaper to just replace the tapes with DVDs when I see them on sale and to be fair, there are not that many I really and truly miss.

4 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

The only scene in Judge Dredd I liked was with Rob Schneider imitating Stallone.. That was funny.. the rest of the film was okay.. Hot Fuzz was pretty good.. I watched that a couple of times..

Glad you got some time in to watch some Vids..

laura b. said...

Aw, makes me sorry I was hard on Judge Dredd. Maybe I need only to watch it again.
It is a gray Monday here too. I don't do so well during the grayer months. I better ask for an attitude adjustment for Christmas...

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

You have been given an award over at my place

FW said...

Mrs Hairy Woman: I like the ending of Hot Fuzz, very good!
Laura B: I hope the greyness lifts soon!