Sunday, November 02, 2008

Halloween Breakdown

The Halloween party was very cool. It was held by a family I've only been out with once but they are very nice. They live out in the country and have the most amazing large garden - I think several generations of their family bought it together and now co-habit in different parts of the house: ideal, I'd love to do that - it would be great for baby-sitters! Our host had such a great authentic bullet shot in the centre of her brow, even the bruising and brain stuff around the entry hole looked awesome. The fire took a long while to get going and it was such a cold night, the kids went indoors to keep warm. After a lot of fanning and (eventually) a rag soaked in petrol, it kicked into life and was lovely and roaring. I love the radiant heat from a good outdoor blaze. The baked potatoes were eventually found after a bit of raking through the ashes and most were perfectly cooked, I had one half that was perfect and the other half a little underdone - but then cooking outdoors is not an exact science. All in all we had a great evening, I liked the part where us men stood around the fire grumbling about cars breaking down and how garages seem to apply charges quite arbitrarily.

The film I chase eventually was Freddy vs Jason. I was laughing at it because it was so NOT a scary movie. If you've seen the parody Scary Movie it wasn't dissimilar. Oh well, you live and learn.

I have been reading the book I bought recently, it is volume one of a collection of Judge Dredd stories. He's a character from a comic titled 2000 AD, I don't think it's around any more. It does have me reminisce about the comics I used to read as a kid in the 1970s. I started with Beano and moved on to Krazy Comic and then Cheeky. My dad used to buy me comics like Battle, Warlord and Victor (more for his own entertainment I think). For some time I have been trying to remember one title I used to enjoy and this morning I looked it up on the Internet - isn't the web great for recalling memories from childhood? The comic in my memory was called Bullet and it featured a special agent called Fireball, he was a guy with a moustache (like one I am currently growing incidentally, more about that another time). I remember it so vividly because I sent off to join the Fireball club, I received a red plastic wallet and special story card to put inside and I got the Fireball pendant of which I was very proud. It was a large black plastic thing with embossed gold flames and I think an F in the middle, although I might not have remembered that part exactly. I loved British comics back in the 1970s and wish they would make a return.

4 comments:

laura b. said...

That garden party sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate Halloween.

I don't know very much about comics..sensing a common theme in my comments? But anyway, I do remember the movie version of Judge Dredd with Sylvester Stallone. If you haven't seen it, you can probabaly guess how it was.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I love bonfires too.. You can stand around and shoot the breeze and keep warm.. Did you make s'mores after the feast?

Tara said...

Oh I love bonfires! My brother has an open fire pit out in his yard, and we were able to roast marshmallows and make s'mores earlier last month. It was so nice. I've never cooked potatoes like that, though, but it sounds really good! It sounds like you had a nice Halloween!

FW said...

L.B.: Funny you should mention the Dredd film, see my next post!
Mrs HW: We didn't make s'mores but toasted marshmallows were made but I didn't try one, they looked a bit burnt to me!
Tara: Yeah it was good, hope you had a good time too!