Monday, May 03, 2010

Would you believe it?

You know when you have one of those experiences that embarasses you and you just have to put down to experience to get past it? Well, yesterday we all got up early-ish for a Bank Holiday Sunday and planned our travel to Collectormania. The venue has changed this year, they moved it from the large shopping mall space to the new stadium further out from the centre. We thought it would be busy and parking might be expensive but we knew we could park near the shopping centre for free and we found out from their website that there was a free bus to Collectormania. So, although it was chilly and a bit wet we did that. Walking briskly we left the car and headed for the bus stop. We considered popping into MacDonald's for a quick breakfast snack but decided against it because of not being sure whether the bus would be on time or late (they're never early are they?). We got to the bus stop but had some doubts. There was nobody else waiting, which I found a bit puzzling. There were no temporary bus signs indicating the free bus to Collectormania stopped at that particular one. So, we decided to wait. We waited. And waited. And then decided to check the website again on my phone, which I did and we were in the right place. Still no bus. By this time the bus was 30 minutes late and we'd been waiting 45 minutes. I suggested we cut our losses and go shopping in the mall, where the shops were now starting to open, because I reasoned that the free bus must have been cancelled. After my wife had bought a dress she needed for an upcoming event, we headed off to Collectormania. We got to the stadium and the car park was quiet, a few cars but nothing like what we were expecting. There were also no signs up and no indication which entry door to go to. So we drove around and pulled up to eat a few sandwiches we had picked up. I re-checked my phone. Guess what? You guessed it, it was on the Bank Holiday at the end of May and not the one at the beginning. It was my wife who told me it was on this weekend, I was a little bit surprised when she told me because in my mind I thought it was further away but I was so excited I wanted it to be this weekend that I accepted it. I looked at the website but didn't pick the date up very easily because it wasn't written in text, it was part of the graphic button and written in yellow I think. So the lessons to learn? Check your facts before you set off! Listen to your inner voice!

4 comments:

Tara said...

I need to get a more modern cellphone so that I can check the internet on it when something like that arises. This sounds like something that would happen over here, too.

My mom booked us to set up at a city-wide garage sale, but then we both realized it was going to be the day of my choir concert. Oops!

laura b. said...

hee hee! I am allowed to have a little laugh because that totally sounds like something I'd do.
At least the day was not a total loss, with the shopping and the little car picnic :-) Plus, now you still have the actual event to look forward to!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Now you have the end of the month to look forward to..Hope it goes better this time around..

I try to listen to my inner voice..

FW said...

Tara: Oops! I regularly double book myself at work.
LB: That's a good point, something to look forward to now!
Lydia: Thanks
Mrs HW: My inner voice isn't right all the time, which makes it difficult to follow it!