Wednesday, June 09, 2010

One Gold Medal Later

My daughter won a gold medal for her Judo competition last weekend. This Saturday my son has a mini-competition to attend and then the weekend after that it is the local Judo club championship, then another competition after that I think. So we've quite a bit of competitive fighting over the next few weekends.
I've got to take my car in to the local garage for its MOT test this Friday, I hope it passes. I have new tyres to replace the ones that were close to the legal limit, so at least I know it won't fail on tyres.
The World Cup starts on Saturday and England play the USA, so I'm looking forward to watching that match. I haven't really been looking forward to it that much recently but now it's closer I am starting to feel more excited by it. My wife can't understand why I would watch it when our own country team aren't playing but I just like to see different styles of football and I like to watch matches to see good football skills on show. I can't explain it any better than that. It's something to talk about with other men I suppose too, something my wife doesn't really "get" either. She thinks men should talk about how we feel, what fears we have and what's happening with our lives but really they're the last thing we like to talk about. That's perhaps a bit cliched but it's not all that far from the truth.
I mentioned we visted Collectormania recently, well the day after we went I heard from someone else who went that they saw Keifer Sutherland signing autographs there. My wife was ever so disappointed she missed him, she loves him! He wasn't advertised, so perhaps it was to avoid too long a queue: even so there was a very long queue for him apparently!

2 comments:

laura b. said...

So it isn't just a false cliche that men don't sit around discussing their feelings? You know women really want to believe that is a lie made to perpetuate your images as big strong he-men. You've let the ladies down, but the men will give you not at all homoerotic sports hug butt pats for that.

Aw, I would have loved to see Keifer Sutherland too!

PS- Congratulations to your daughter on her medal and best of luck to your son!!!

FW said...

LB: I find it difficult to describe my feelings in words a lot of the time. Tears come to my eyes quite readily though if I'm watching someone win against the odds in a sport or they produce a wonderful performance that makes me feel how proud their parents must be.
Thanks for the Judo support! My son's competition was postponed this weekend until July though unfortunately.