Monday, August 23, 2010

Crash, Bang, Wallop!

I knew it couldn’t last! I was enjoying cycling too much to be true. On Saturday, while enjoying a short cycling trip with my family I decided to impress my son with a burst of speed and left the path. I accelerated on the grass verge and my plan was to rejoin the path. Unfortunately, I didn’t account for a rut between the grass and the concrete path. My bike hit the rut and went one way while I went the other and crashed down hard on the floor. Fortunately, I was wearing a helmet. Even so, I found myself dizzily standing up not knowing what had hit me. The reaction of my wife and kids was instant and very caring. So, I’ve damaged a pair of glasses and have plenty of grazes including on my face and a black eye. I guess these things happen and I should feel grateful that I walked away relatively alright instead of having to go to an Accident and Emergency Department. It does go to show that speed can be a dangerous thing. It hasn’t deterred me from cycling but I will be taking it easy from now on. Lesson learned.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you weren't more seriously injured. I hope your children weren't too frightened. Take good care, FW.

Tara said...

Thankfully you were wearing a helmet! I'm glad it wasn't as serious as it could've been. Ouch, though. I'm sorry about the scrapes and black eye!

Recover and then get right back on the saddle...er...bike.

FW said...

LB: My kids were okay, I'm glad my wife was there though to help them understand what had happened. My daughter said a funny thing; she didn't realise how much she loved me until she saw me hurt with blood on my face.
Tara: Thanks, yes I do need to get back on my bike and silence those demons!