Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's the little things...

I was chatting to a colleague at work this afternoon about how small things you don't expect can have big consequences and might sometimes lead to death. For example, I guarantee that when I'm moving cables or trying to plug something in, at least one cable gets snagged around something meaning what should be easy becomes a lot of effort to try and reach and un-snag. Or when carrying a heavy box, my foot might hit something I didn't expect like the roll of a floor mat kicked up at the corner. Or perhaps I'm trying to move a box between rooms and it's just too big to fit through the door because one of the flaps is out and I haven't got a hand free to hold it in. I bet there are hundreds, if not thousands, of deaths each day due to small snags like that but in more extreme circumstances. Or perhaps not even extreme circumstances, I think there is some crazy statistic that suggests a number of people each year are killed by their own clothes. Imagine being killed by your own trousers! My own bastard trousers! I'm sure there must be some comedy value in that notion. I wonder if anyone has been killed by their own bra?

6 comments:

Tara said...

So far, thankfully no bra injuries! Woo hoo! :)

I think of how close to danger I am whenever I put bread in the toaster, and it doesn't pop all the way up when finished. I do remember to unplug the toaster before sticking a knife in to spear the bread, but it's not a smart idea to use any kind of metal.

laura b. said...

haha! When I saw the title of this post, I was thinking of inspirational stuff...the little things make the difference. But death! Oh my...death by trousers :-)

FW said...

Tara: my father once cut through a power cable by mistake and a shower of sparks flew across the room. We instantly laughed about it because it was so stupid! I don't unplug the toaster when I do that, perhaps I should?

LB: In the Incredibles there were some examples of death by cape. It's a similar type of reasoning. I'm going to go and punch my clothes hanging in the wardrobe and show them I'm boss. Let them just try to kill me!

Constant said...

Gee Whiz! Hope something like that doesn't happen to me anytime soon. :L

Anonymous said...

Well, it’s amazing.Well done. as we know that “hard work always pays off”,

web designing india said...

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.