Monday, August 15, 2011

second week back

It's the start of my second week back at work since my holiday. How the time goes by!

The holiday was good. At first I thought it wasn't going to be. But it always takes a day or two to settle, at least it does with us. After that you begin to realise that you're somewhere different and that you might as well enjoy it. I'm pretty positive and always look for the good but my wife at first is more sceptical. I wouldn't say she is negative generally but she is certainly quite negative at first when we go away and either the hotel or the apartment is new to her, she tends to notice the things I would gloss over. However, after the first couple of days she relaxes and we have a good time. Same thing happened this time and actually, even though I was worried it would be too hot and that there wouldn't be anything to do it turned out that was the good part. Lovely hot weather, water and a great time on the beach or by the hotel pool. My kids enjoyed themselves and I read a Michael Connelly, a Nicci French and a Stieg Larsson book, which is quite unusual for me to read so quickly. I preferred to read than watch TV.

Since being back from holiday, I hit work on the Monday and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. This is now my second week back. I finally managed to walk into my new local town and although its smaller than our last town, it is actually a lot pleasanter. There are lots of charity shops and lots of smaller shops that are local people offering craft and other stuff. A new party shop was opening on Saturday and they must have booked an Elvis impersonator to open the store, even the town Mayor turned up and started to dance with people. It was quite good to see that.

Sorry to end this on a downer but we think our fridge has a problem. It makes no sound and doesn't seem to refrigerate properly. The door seals are good, the freezer compartment works and the light comes on when you open the door. It just doesn't seem to be refrigerating as constantly as it should. I think it might be expensive to fix.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I'm glad you ended up enjoying your vacation. I would say I'm the type to want to make the best of things and it sounds like you all certainly did.

Your new town sounds lovely! But I'm sorry to hear about the fridge. Hope it turns out to be something simple.

Tara said...

I like little towns; especially when everything you need is so close to home.

I'm glad you and the family were eventually able to enjoy the vacation! Sitting on the beach or near the pool just doing what you want sounds so relaxing.

Sorry to hear about the fridge! I hope it's an easy problem to solve, and not too expensive.

FW said...

LB: Thanks, I didn't manage to get into town this weekend though, which is a pity. Then again, maybe it's better not to have too much of a good thing!

Tara: I'm just realising how relaxing it actually was, I would like to book another holiday soon!

LB and Tara: We're using ice packs to chill the fridge for now. The freezer section works fine. I'll see how it goes, I expect we'll have to buy a new one at some point though.