Sunday, August 20, 2006

New Captain Scarlet - pretty darn good

As a kid I loved the Gerry Anderson puppet shows. The vehicles were great and the stories were set into the future and had a good sci-fi slant to them. The shows are enjoyable for adults as well as kids, I enjoy watching the shows we have on VHS with my kids - who adore them. So, with some trepidation I loaned series one of New Captain Scarlet out the library. It's CGI, a medium that is quite hard to get everything right in. I've seen some shows that I thought were good and ones not so, mainly it's the story that lets them down - the graphics are generally quite good: the flexibility in camera angles can get you closer to the action. Sometimes the characters don't have expressive faces or body positions, sometimes little details like hands, elbows etc. make the CGI characters seem oddly shaped.
These comments are bout CGI in general though. I have to declare that I'm terribly impressed with New Captain Scarlet. The stories are probably the most engaging thing but the action is great and so are the vehicles. You can tell that money has been spent on all aspects from graphics, script, music, direction and actor's voices. I recommend it to anyone.

No comments: