Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Forced Absence

In the past week I've had time off, hit several IT problems, enjoyed myself 10 pin bowling, been away from home and generally been forced to take a break from Blog World and my podshow. Although the sequence of events was something I didn't choose, in a way I had a good time despite the difficulties.


The photo above is of Sooty and Sweep, two characters who have been part of childrens television in the UK since the sixties. I enjoyed watching them as a child and we took my children to a live Sooty show this week. Some shows appeal to children and adults alike, like The Simpson's. This was definitely a show aimed at the kids. Fortunately, for the first time in what seems like ages we weren't sitting in the first two rows and were infact several rows back and to the side. There was A LOT of water going into the audience within the first three rows, so I'm especially glad we didn't get a soaking. I didn't enjoy it very much, the kids loved it and I think a soaking would have just made me annoyed (a Grumpy Dad attack), a little bit of a water is OK but there some very wet people by the end - who must have found it uncomfortable to sit in their clothes.


I don't go ten pin bowling very often but it is always good fun when I go. We went out for bowling and a Chinese meal this week, as a small group of couples, and it was great fun. So hopefully, we'll be repeating the event in May. I prefer a lighter ball, it had a number 10 on it but I'm not sure if that referred to size or weight or what. I didn't score a strike unfortunately but someone in our group managed to score 4 strikes in a row, which I just find incredible. I didn't manage to win any of the games, the boys beat the girls, and I didn't even score over a 100 in either of two games. I did improve with practice though, it's just that I don't think I can afford to practice very often. Nevertheless, I enjoyed myself and it's a good sport to enjoy with friends.

5 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I play bowling online.. I haven't played it in real time for many a year.. but it is fun to get out and talk with "grownups".. I have been deprived of my bowling..lol

Tara said...

Bowling and Chinese food? Sounds like a fun night out! I went to a sort of arcade for grown ups yesterday, and there were a few bowling games I could play. So much fun. I want to go back.

FW said...

Babybull40: It is good, you do end up talking about the kids though!

Tara: That sounds like great fun, I'd certainly enjoy a place like that but I've not heard of one yet.

Rachel said...

Do you have both 5 pin bowling and 10 pin bowling in the UK? I played 5 pin bowling once in Canada and LOVED it.
I haven't ever seen it here in the US.

FW said...

Rachel: I think 5 pin is just a Canadian thing. I've played pub skittles, which is a rough and ready style bowling game played with a wooden ball.

Rightwringer: Nice surname, we don't share it though.