Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Simple Food Restaurant

Sometimes when I'm in the kitchen and have gone in there to make a quick tasty snack I think to myself how easy it would be to open a cafe that only had simple food on the menu. Lets take baked beans on toast as an example: there must be loads of slightly different ways of preparing this, one of my favourites is to take some nice thick sliced (white) bread, toast one half and turn it over, lay a thin layer of sliced ham on the untoasted side followed by a layer of Heinz baked beans in tomato sauce and on top grate some cheese and pop under the grill. Lovely. You can do the same with Heinz spaghetti. Very quick, dirt cheap and simple. Great with coffee or tea. Actually as I write this post I'm reminded of the time I shared a house as a student and how invaluable a Breville sandwich toaster was. I used to love toasted sandwiches, cheese and tomato, ham and cheese, baked beans, chilli con carne, toasted sandwiches are so versatile! The only downside was that the toaster was a pain in the arse to clean, in the end we didn't bother and I think I threw it away when the course ended rather than clean the bloody thing. I did love my toasties though, I miss having a toasted sandwich occasionally.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Wow, that baked-bean over toast recipe sounds really good! I've never tried that before!

FW said...

Tara: You must try it!

laura b. said...

Yes, baked beans on toast seems to have not hit the big time in the U.S. I am going to have it though, because it sounds so good! And I adore (yes, adore) toasted cheese sandwiches.

GAME2P.COM said...

hi~nice blog, will come back to see your site again, stay cool, cya