Monday, May 12, 2008

Great Wall

The awful events in Burma and China have brought home to me how vulnerable we all are really. My wife and I were discussing The Great Wall of China just before the weekend. Her grandma walked it as a pensioner (apparently), I thought it was too long to walk but didn't know anything about it: except that it is the only man made structure visible from space - I had somehow lodged that fact in my brain. The Wall has always fascinated me, the beauty of it, the brutality of the work (over a million people died in its construction) and the pointlessness of it to an extent. I hope that relief gets to the people who need it and fast.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

it is a beautiful thing to see.. I didn't know that you could see it from space... I hope they get relief soon too..

laura b. said...

I have to say that this horrible disaster is being pretty lightly covered in this portion of the world. Seems beyond disgraceful to me.

FW said...

Mrs HW: Hope so, seems too late for Burma - what a tragedy.

LB: Too true