Sunday, May 25, 2008

Eurovision 2008 Result

Well, it's over. It will be held in Moscow next year because Russia won last night. It wasn't the best song in the competition and a lot will be said elsewhere about the predictability of the voting so I'm not going to harp on about it here. I judged along with my daughter and I found it quite difficult, the scoring sheet I downloaded had columns for song, performance, dance routine and outfit. The hardest thing for any judge is consistency and the need to identify and correct any bias in your own mind. After a few beers I must admit that my powers to judge accurately were seriously affected, as you can see from my top 5 below. The only way I can defend Spain finishing second is to say that after watching 21 other Eurovision songs prior to hearing it, my mind was mixed up. On reflection this morning, the Russian song isn't as bad as I remember.

In general, although I'm disappointed with the position of the UK entry - countries can't vote for themselves - at the end of the day I'm not that upset with the show. I realise that's naive to an extent but if the show rules were changed then it wouldn't be the spectacle that it is.

  1. Greece
  2. Spain
  3. Norway
  4. Ukraine
  5. Turkey, Azerbaijan

 

The actual results were:

  1. Russia
  2. Ukraine
  3. Greece
  4. Armenia
  5. Norway

 

My winner (Greece) (official video, not performance on the night):

Actual winner Russia (official video, not performance on the night):

 

My second place Spain (official video, not performance on the night):

 

Actual second place (official video, not performance on the night):

3 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

There is always next year.. Do you think that somehow the juding is too predictable or even fixed to an extent?..

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

judging...

FW said...

Oh yes, definitely. It's difficult not to watch somehow though. Maybe I'm just a masochist!