Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 End Thoughts

End of the year for 2008. Tomorrow is a new day, as they say. I was considering relationships recently. I attended a wedding on the 22nd December, it was by candlelight and I guess you could say it was romantic. It was a civil ceremony, the participants were gay, I don't know if they were disappointed by not having a church or not - I disagree with eclesiastical law here (even if I can't spell it!). In the speech there was quite a few mentions of compromise and sharing and the two were linked closely together. What makes love's bonds so strong? Common interests and companionship yes but I also think there needs to be a physical dimension for me; a feeling of pleasure through being close or intimate with the one you love. My wife and I were joking (at least I think she was joking) about a novelty gift she saw in a gift shop recently - it was a wife's bat for beating away her husband's morning advances. Where is this post going and what's the reason for it? I'm not sure. I guess I'm saying that each of us has a different set of needs and a loving relationship blossoms when we find a partner who both has needs we can satisfy happily and who in turn happily satisfies the majority of our own needs. The tricky thing is that needs are diverse in type and they change over time, that'll be where the compromise and sharing comes in. Boy, love is hard and complex.

I shall raise my glass to all my readers tonight and wish you a hopeful and peaceful New Year. God bless.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

I am deeply committed to the idea that two adults in a loving, committed relationship should be able to marry and have all the rights and responsibilities that go with marriage.
I agree with all you said, FW. A good relationship is built on compromise and sharing...as well as trust, friendship, and a steady desire for physical intimacy. Any or all of those factors may rise and fall, but they should be there somewhere.
Wow, this is a really long comment, but your post really touched me. Thank you.
Happy 2009 to you and yours, FW.

FW said...

L.B.: Thanks! Take care and have a great 2009!