Saturday, November 07, 2009

Change change change

It’s more the lack of change that is the issue for my personal life. I don’t mean my romantic life, rather things like the desire to make some changes but not having the time or energy to actually make the change. I need to change my job or career and we need to move house. Both of these things take a lot of energy and careful consideration. They are big things around which lots of important smaller things happen, like they have heavy gravity. Gravity is the problem: you need a lot of thrust to break out of Earth’s gravity and that’s what I’m lacking in my life: thrust to break out of my current gravity. The problem is more difficult because I have two gravitational things to change, my job and my house. Does anyone have any advice on how I should manage this predicament? I’m just floundering at the moment, I’m paddling but just not getting anywhere. I’m also worried about the recession: if I quit my job, what happens if I can’t get anything else? How would we cope without my income as the main breadwinner? I guess the other side of the coin is that at the moment, is it better to have stability and a steady income, even though I’m not happy at work? So many considerations! It’s overwhelming! I can’t see the wood for the trees, if you know what I mean.

 

2 comments:

laura b. said...

Those are both really, really big things that probably need to be dealt with one at a time.
To me, it makes the most sense to settle your housing first. Go for financing, etc, from your advantage point now of an established position...not as someone starting out new somewhere.
After you get situated there, you can focus more on a job change. You will know more fully what you will be required to do to keep things going financially.
I wish you the best as you contemplate these big changes, FW.

FW said...

L.B.: I think you are absolutely right. I think living in a different house might even balance out the way I feel about work.