Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Whatever you’re doing, I hope you have a great time. My children are excited and I’m exhausted after battling through crowds in the shops today. Suddenly, it doesn’t feel like there is a recession on at all. The shops were rammed with people, don’t know if they were buying though but there was certainly a lot of hustle and bustle and a feeling of Christmas coming. Funny how Christmas has more feeling in leaner times. The Christmas gift market had lots of great gifts but we were just browsing. I was tempted to buy a bottle or two of Caribbean Punch but I didn’t in the end, my wife was worried there would be too much ginger in it and she doesn’t much like ginger. I don’t mind it so much.

It’s been a hell of a busy week at work this past week. I did get a bit of time back on Friday afternoon though, so that was good.

We ate in a restaurant for lunch today. I couldn’t believe the bill when it arrived. Don’t get me wrong - the food was lovely. However, first of all my son’s plate had to be sent back because it arrived with beef instead of chicken. Then my wife’s had to go back because she got pasta instead of brown rice with her meatballs. My wife did at least get a complimentary drink out of it but even so. It was just short of 60 pounds, we usually eat out for less than half of that. I would have felt more cheated if the food hadn’t been good. I’m just not sure it was THAT good. We also had to queue a few minutes for a table. There was a much bigger queue on our way out. I’m really surprised how popular the place was. My wife and I shared a plate of nachos, the kids had ice cream and we had two rounds of drinks. I guess it all adds up, we normally just have mains plus drinks. Probably won’t be going there again any time soon.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I love how we shop harder when everyone is talking about the recession. We really do go into denial and fire up that charge card.

My mom and I went to The Olive Garden last month. We had the usual - soup, salad, breadsticks and then ordered coffee. The bill was incredibly high and the coffee was way too expensive. We could've enjoyed a better cup for free, at home.

laura b. said...

I was just talking about how I don't cook so much. But I do tend to seek out inexpensive meals, for sure. It is nice to have a special treat every so often though...and drinks will really jack up a bill.

FW said...

Tara: It really is a case of denial isn't it? Nice to eat out but when you think about it, it is an expeensive way to eat and drink.
L.B.: Yeah, drinks are expensive from restaurants. Especially with several rounds and then coffee.