Friday, December 31, 2010

Holiday

Well, I did it. Before Christmas I took myself up to the travel shop and spent a while with a nice young lady. A couple of weeks later I went back and spoke to another nice young lady. They clicked their mouse buttons and we talked and looked at options. Eventually I decided on a surprise family holiday destination. I was going to keep it a secret until the day of departure but I’m not good at keeping surprises. My family are even worse. They just don’t like not to be informed about what’s going on. I could have kept the whole thing secret of course and not said anything. But I was absent for several hours and would have had to make up white lies and remember what I’d said, so keeping secrets from the family is a difficult task. After they knew I’d booked a holiday the questions came and kept coming, so I decided that I would let them know on Christmas Day. On Christmas Eve I prepared a slide presentation on my netbook. On Christmas Day, just before leaving to visit the family I plugged my netbook into the big television and gave them the presentation. They seemed to be pleased with my choice. Thank God!

I haven’t spent this much on a holiday since our honeymoon. And I certainly haven’t booked one so far in advance of the time before either – I know this time of year is quite traditional for buying holidays but I really don’t usually indulge in holiday booking until at least March. However, I hope this holiday will be great. It’s in Spain near to Barcelona but not actually there, so I’m hoping for hot weather, lovely beaches and lots of good lounging around, playing in the water and general relaxation with my family. My son was a bit worried about flying but he seems okay about it now, I can sympathise with a certain anxiety over flying myself but mainly at take off and landing times. I do think about disaster movies when flying though.

Hope everyone has a great New Year celebration tonight, my best wishes for the New Year to all of you.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

How wonderful! Something glorious to look forward to :-)

Happy New Year, friend.

Tara said...

Wow, FW, what an amazing Christmas gift for you and your family!! I'm so excited for you!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

FW said...

LB: Thanks, I am looking forward to it, no doubt about it!
Tara: Thanks, I hope it all goes to plan! The weather and volcanic ash last year kind of make me nervous about any flight.