Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Weathering the Storms

There are only four sleeps until Christmas, can you believe it? The snow here in the UK has been pretty bad recently, we had some on Thursday/Friday last week and again a big load fell on Saturday. The temperature outside has stayed below or at zero degrees centigrade, so the snow has stayed on the ground. It is affecting shopping, travelling and all aspects of life really. It is also really cold in the house, even with the heating on. Snow looks pretty but it really disrupts normal life.

I’ve had a rough week in many ways, I’ve had a stinking cold and because I’ve been rundown, predators in the form of cold sores have caught me on my top lip. At least they are on their way out. I wish my cough was on the way out, that seems to be lodged quite happily. I’m starting to get headaches from coughing all the time and never being able to clear my throat to breathe properly.

At work things are difficult too. A colleague is behaving in a very negative way and is bad mouthing the work I and another colleague of mine are doing. Every couple of days I find out about a fresh attack and we’re diverting energies into responding to these rather than getting on with our work. I am finding it very draining and there doesn’t seem to be a way for us to put pressure back on her, she is more senior. We’re trying to remain professional and calm through it all but I’m really starting to tire and I don’t want to work with the person anymore. The problem is that I’m supposed to be working with her on the next project also.

1 comment:

laura b. said...

I'm sorry you've been ill. It is so difficult to get well being shut indoors a lot and being under so much stress at work.

I find negativity and having to fight it the most exhausting thing. The positive thing is that it sounds as though you have a like-minded collegue who is in the situation with you.

I hope you are able to get some rest, get well, and have a wonderful Christmas :-)