Saturday, December 11, 2010

Feeling like Christmas yet?

It’s been a while since my last post. Some weeks are like that. Never seem to find the right time to sit down and do the blog thing. This weekend is a bit of respite from rushing the children around. My daughter has been doing a woodwork course on Saturdays during November but that has now finished. They have both been unwell with colds and coughs, so have missed a day at school. My son isn’t well enough to go swimming today, so we have had a pretty lazy day. We did go out and buy a new Christmas tree. We looked at the real ones first, I like real the natural trees but my wife was concerned about the cost and the space one would take up – even a short tree can have a big diameter near the bottom. So we bought a slim artificial tree in the end, it was reasonably inexpensive and came with it’s own lights and decorations. We had our own sets of lights and baubles but it’s always useful to have spare ones. The tree now looks nice, tall and compact in the corner of the room, pretty but also not taking up too much space of its own. I like Christmas trees, considering the tradition isn’t that old it is remarkably effective. I can’t imagine Christmas feeling the same at home without a tree. I’m not a great fan of corporate Christmas trees however, they feel a bit impersonal to me.

There is Christmas music in the shops now and on the radio. I see the big supermarkets have lots of party food in stock. It all looks good but is all very packaged and processed. I don’t feel very Christmassy at all I’m afraid. I hope I get the feeling soon.

1 comment:

laura b. said...

In my apartment space is very limited, so we have a small artificial tree. It sets the mood :-)

I am a little alarmed by how quickly Christmas is coming. I still need to shop more.

Hope the kids feel all better soon.