Thursday, May 24, 2012

Eurovision Song Contest 2012

I always look forward to this time of year. On Saturday night there is something to look forward to because the Eurovision Song Contest happens. The Eurovision is such a cheesy show but can sometimes deliver some good songs, not to mention some awful costumes. It is a long show, there are 26 live songs performed on the night and the voting almost takes as long as listening to the songs. The votes are split 50/50 between jurors and televotes. Countries in Europe vote and I always like the part of the show where they visit each country's celebrity to read out the scores from their voting. More information is available on the songs here, along with some videos if you choose to watch. I haven't seen or heard any of the songs yet, I prefer to hear and see them performed on the night - that's how I judge them. I'll be printing out my score card and scoring them. My selection always differs from the final scores not surprisingly. I do it just as bit of a laugh really, my daughter scores them too. She enjoys it as much as I do.
This year the host country is Azerbaijan because they won last year. I must confess that I know not where Azerbaijan is! But Baku must be a famous city, perhaps even their capital - gosh I'm so useless at geography I'm going to have to look this up after finishing this post I can tell!

Whatever you do this weekend, have fun and stay safe.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I don't know anything about Azerbaijan, either! I've heard the name pronounced, but that's all.

Enjoy the song contest with your daughter! We have a long weekend over here; Memorial Day is this Monday, so we don't have to work. Yay!

FW said...

Tara: Thanks, a long weekend is always a great bonus :-) enjoy the extra day!

laura b. said...

I've been enjoying everyone live Tweeting Eurovision as I work today (Saturday) It always sounds like so much fun!

FW said...

Well unfortunately the British Eurovision entry didn't do very well, second from last. I thought it deserved a bit more than that but I was also surprised Ukraine, Cyprus and Greece didn't do very well either. They were my top three.