Sunday, February 24, 2013

Roobarb and Custard

When I was young, still at school, I enjoyed a cartoon in the kids time TV slots - no dedicated kids channels when I was young. The cartoon was called Roobarb and Custard and I liked it for several reasons. It was funny first and foremost. I liked the animation style, it wasn't as clean and professional like other cartoons. It was like a pen drawing. It oscillated and moved when cartoons were getting cleaner and more life-like. It was short enough to enjoy and leave you wanting more for next time. I enjoyed the anarchic theme music - well, it seemed anarchic to me at the time. The narrator was an actor called Richard Briers who has just got the best voice for children's television.
It was created for TV by Bob Godfrey, who was also responsible for Henry's Cat but I don't remember that programme so much.
Here's an episode I found on YouTube that I'm including as my mark of respect for Bob Godfrey who died recently at the grand old age of 91.


2 comments:

laura b. said...

Aw! I'd never heard of this...we never got it here I'm guessing. I can see why you like it. There is something very charming about it. Thanks for including the clip :)

FW said...

LB: Thanks :-) yes, it was ground breaking in a way because it was a cartoon that appealed to children but also appealed to adults in a subtly different way.