Monday, November 25, 2013

Lost musicians

I am listening to an album by the band Heaven & Hell called The Devil You Know. It is an album by members of Black Sabbath the singer is Ronnie James Dio, who is very sadly no longer alive. We lost Lou Reed recently, I'm not a huge fan but I have the album Transformer on vinyl disk somewhere. My two favourite musicians no longer with us are John Martyn and Robert Palmer. I was just thinking about Palmer's album Pressure Drop. It contains songs like Give Me An Inch Girl, Work To Make It Work and Pressure Drop: all fine songs. It was released in 1975 and didn't really do anything chart wise. I don't know if the cover was controversial at the time but I suspect it might have been because it features a woman in the background naked with her back to Palmer, who is wearing a suit and is apparently uninterested. I wonder which other of my musical idols are going to go next?

2 comments:

laura b. said...

All sad losses. There are some musicians plugging along who have surely cheated death on more than one occasion.

FW said...

LB: That's for sure! Palmer's demise was a complete shock because he was so young though, relatively speaking.John Martyn's health had been deteriorating for a while so wasn't completely unexpected. Dio's cancer was a shock too, for a while I had hoped that his treatment had worked so it was very sad to hear it hadn't. Just proves we're all mortal.