Sunday, January 17, 2016

Shivers

I've been a fan of David Cronenberg for a long time. I don't like all his movies to the same degree though but some of the films he made in the 1970s and 1980s are in my all time favourites list. Shivers was a film I hadn't seen before. I associate the films Shivers, The Brood, Rabid and Scanners together. All strangely fascinating in their own way. Shivers is the simpler film in many ways. I like the way that not very much is explained in this film. The budget is noticeably small but I like that in a way. I think it made its funding back many times over!
The story is about the spread of a parasitic bug that incites its host to become sexually voracious. The parasite looks like a turd. An odd choice but there you go. There are some great set pieces in the film and some memorable acting. There are also some very lame effects and lame acting too, sadly.


No comments: