Sunday, November 28, 2010

Children’s Books

I was looking at this list of top 10 best illustrated children’s books with a bit of doubt this morning. I don’t see any Judith Kerr (The Tiger Who Came To Tea, Mog etc.) or Eric Carle (The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Very Busy Spider etc.) or The Gruffalo or a Lucy Cousins (Maisy mouse). There are undoubtedly many more missing, it is difficult to only list 10 but I think you have to include some of the most popular books of all time in there. I love looking at children’s illustrated books – some of the best books can be so deceptively simple yet they talk with a universal language to children everywhere: that’s a rare thing indeed!

3 comments:

Tara said...

You're right, it is difficult to list only 10. Many of the ones I like were not listed, like "Blueberries for Sal", "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "The Fire Cat". I do like Dr. Seuss drawings, though.

laura b. said...

The person who chose these has a pretty specific preference for an older style of spikey black ink with colorwash sorts of things. I like a lot of these, but it does feel like it is missing a LOT.

Currently, I really love Lane Smith and Hanako Wakiyama illustrations. And sorry, but not including Eric Carle is ridiculous. And if you want to go with classics, how about Leo Lionni, Chris Van Allsburg, and Rosemary Wells?

Yeah, I have lots of opinions about children's picture books :-D

PS- The Lonely Doll has always kind of creeped me out...

FW said...

Tara: My son loves the Dr Seuss books, Green Eggs and Ham being a particular favourite.

LB: I just looked up the illustrators you mention and I agree they are really great. I guess 10 just isn't enough.