Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mary Lou Lord

I first heard about this album while reading a glowing review of it in Melody Maker. That particular music paper no longer exists. This was back in the 1990s. It's one of the few albums that actually lived up to the glowing review. It is simple, folksy music but quite charming at the same time. I think all the songs are cute and catchy and deeper than they first seem. I don't know how many copies of this were ever sold, I suspect it wasn't produced in the same quantities as more popular artists, being released on K Records (I think, writing this without it in front of me). I vaguely remember there was some connection with Kurt Cobain and I don't think Courtney Love approved - I believe I even read a news story once that Courtney bashed Mary Lou but that might just be complete nonsense dreamed up by an over-imaginative journo.

Favourite track: The Bridge

2 comments:

laura b. said...

You know, I am completely unfamiliar with her...as far as I know. I will have to take a trip over to YouTube and check her out!

FW said...

LB: I had a quick look on Youtube before posting the entry and didn't find much at all, it was quite disappointing really, I didn't click Play on any of the videos.