Saturday, September 24, 2011

Alright, Still - Lily Allen

This is an artist that on paper, I shouldn't like. However, it is inspite of everything else that I still enjoy the music on this album and her voice, phrasing and  songwriting. I love the melodies, the lyrics and the ska beats and horns. There is an Englishness to the songs that appeals to me and the personal nature to them. I know there are some mockney jibes about her and I'm pretty sure that she didn't grow up on the streets in poverty. But my exposure to the tabloids is fairly limited, so I have listened to the music more than I've read about her. I don't like the whole album to the same degree but there are some wonderful songs on this.

Favourite track: Knock 'Em Out

3 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Haven't heard anything about her in a while.. thanks for the post..

BTW.. I tagged you for next weeks Scavenger hunt if you are up to it!

laura b. said...

She seems to be one of those young artists who struggle a bit in their personal life, but I think she's quite talented!

FW said...

MRS HW: Hey there, welcome back! I'm up for it but if I'm the one tagged, does that mean I have to choose the word?

LB: I haven't heard that much about her recently, perhaps she has settled down a bit more now.