Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Need for Art

I realised today that I love art. It allows me to explore the creative minds of other human beings and make insightful connections that would otherwise be lost or trampled. It sounds trite but there is a simple fact in this.I believe that when I'm being creative it actually helps me to relax and understand myself, and possibly others, better. For too much of the time I'm stressed about work or other stuff. I sometimes think how peoples lives change, go in unexpected directions, not through their own choice. And I wonder if anything like that will happen to me. Or will I carry on and keep going as I have been for the last few years. I don't have any answers to the question, of course. But it must be nice to do what you love every day, instead of doing what you have to, in order to earn money. Art can be an escape from the humdrum of reality. I like that too about art.
I'm pleased that P.J. Harvey won the Mercury Music Prize this year, I love her work, it's so original and interesting.

Today is the 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Centre and Pentagon. I was at work when it happened back in 2001, I remember seeing a photograph on the web of WTC1 with smoke pouring out of it - live streaming of the BBC website was not possible since so many browsers were trying to access it. At first I could only accept that it was a terrible accident, a plane hitting the tower. I thought the terrorism theory was just scaremongering. Then the second plane hit and I could scarcely believe it. It was beyond my comprehension, beyond the realm of real life. Then the tower's collapse, to be followed by the collapse of the second tower. The terrorists could not have known that their attack would prove so effective. It is so shocking to be alive and watching something like that. In 100 years time it will be in our history books. May all the victims of that day rest in peace and the people who survive them find the strength and courage to live their lives day by day with a place in their hearts reserved for loved ones lost.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I know where I was on 9/11, too. I was unemployed and getting ready to start the day and was listening to the guys on the radio. They announced it and then I told my mom who was watching it all on TV, not quite knowing what she was witnessing. We lived near the airport at the time, and just then we noticed that it was awfully quiet. We usually had planes coming and going from the nearby airport.

BrightenedBoy said...

I experienced 9/11 as a child and can still remember how chaotic things were at my school as parents swooped in to get their children until classes were finally dismissed several hours early.

It was unforgettable.

I liked your observation on art. Anything that gets us away from the humdrum is good. I aim to make my whole life a departure from the humdrum.

laura b. said...

Interesting juxtaposition in this post...the escape and relief of art alongside the most horrible reality we were all forced to face.

FW said...

Tara: That silence must have been eerie, so unreal!

BrightenedBoy: Hey, thanks for stopping by and commenting! I hope you do avoid the humdrum in life :-)

LB: When blogging sometimes I just go with the flow of my mind, I think that's the best approach for me!