Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2013 Has Arrived

Happy New Year to all of my readers! I hope you had a good Christmas Holiday 2012. A new year is with us now and the celebrations of last night are behind us. How did you spend your New Year's Eve? I was with my family the whole time.
I cooked a beef stew with suet dumplings for our evening meal, using up some leftovers from the week. My wife bought us a slow cooker in the sales just after Christmas and we're keen to try cooking a new variety of meals with it. I hadn't made dumplings before but my mother in-law said they were very good, which is high praise as she is a great cook herself. So we ate and then immediately after we went out and drove to the cinema to go and see High Society, another classic film they decided to put on. The cinema we go to is wonderful, it has very comfortable seats and in the lobby there is a bar and sofas and all sorts of books about film. The owner walks on to the stage before the main film is shown and says a few things. This time he said it was a good film for a New Year's Eve (I guess because of the Champagne!) and that it was a good 35mm print this time around, apparently the last time they got the film it was quite badly scratched and the colour was a bit washed out. My mother in-law said that it was a much better colour than even the DVD she has. With modern films you don't see scratches or colour fades, it's easy to forget things like that. I don't know how modern films are projected, perhaps they aren't even on film like they used to be. I'll have to look that up after this post!



The film was great, I've seen it before but it's much better seeing it on a big screen. It was a good way to spend the first part of the evening. After that we drove home and had a few drinks and some pizza, some sticky chicken skewers and a big heap of sausage rolls I heated up in the oven when we got home. My wife and I were in bed watching Final Destination 2 after that, pausing to watch the London fireworks on TV at midnight. I thought the fireworks were fantastic and not long after that we went to sleep.

5 comments:

laura b. said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to ring in the New Year! I really like the sound of all the food you made and that theater :)
Happy New Year, FW!!!

D.M. SOLIS said...

What a sweet post. This truly is the stuff of which memories are made. Hope you and your wife have a wonderful year, and that you will keep posting.

Sincerely,
Diane

Tara said...

I would love that kind of movie theater! It sounds so cool, and I love that the owner goes up on stage to discuss the movies beforehand.

My mom bought me a crockpot/slow cooker! She gave me her recipe for stuff cabbage rolls and I made them for New Year's Day. There was some mixture left after I had rolled up all of the cabbage, so I poured the rest into a cupcake tin and made mini meatloaves.

Tara said...

PS: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

FW said...

LB: Happy New Year!!

Diane: Welcome! Thanks very much, same to you!

Tara: What a surprise you got one too! They are great cooking appliances I think. Your use of the food and remainders sounds so good, I might try that myself. I'd like to try meatloaf, it's not something I've ever eaten.