Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Magic the gathering

Like father like son they say. I have been looking into this card trading game and it seems to offer quite a lot of possibilities. I think it might be something that my son would enjoy in a couple of years when he grows out of some of the things he currently obsesses about, like Lego and Pokemon and possibly Skylanders (when it arrives in our house this week).
I like the artwork on the cards and the fact that there are thousands of cards that make the game very strategic. I would like to play it with fellow casual players, there are game nights where you can go and play but I think if I turned up I'd find I'm in the wrong demographic and that would make me uncomfortable. So I doubt I'll ever play it outside my own home. I don't know, I could be wrong about this.
The game is built around owning and maintaining a deck of cards. The cards contain creatures and spells that you can use to reduce your opponent's life to zero, each player starts a game with 20 life points. The back of the card is always the same but the front is where the artwork and information for playing is. I was never a role playing game guy, so this world is slightly alien to me and it may not survive long to sustain my interest. However, I'm going to see how this develops and give it a chance.
Card back

Example of a card front

5 comments:

laura b. said...

If you're really interested, you should go to their site and check out their forums. That will give you an idea of the demographics. I don't know much about it, but my understanding is that it is pretty wide-ranging.

FW said...

I think you're right about the wide age range. I think there must be another hesitation on my part to get involved socially, maybe I'm just not a social being!

Tara said...

You might also want to check out the site called "meetup". There might already be a group in your area that meet up for that particular game!

FW said...

Tara: Interesting, I never knew that existed! Have you any experience of it?

Tara said...

No, I have just visited the site a few times, but I've heard others talk about how they met up with this group or that group.