Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Tech News

I see in tonight's news that Jessops the camera shop has gone into administration. I've been a customer of that chain a few times in my past. Back in the day before smartphones all had cameras on them. I think the mobile phone market has largely replaced the point and shoot camera one. It's a sad but true fact. Why didn't they see this coming and change their business strategy?

I think 2013 is going to be a good year for consumer electronics. I was given a Google Nexus 7 tablet computer for Christmas by my wife. It's great for browsing the web and reading digital magazines and books. She knows I love gadgets. This year I am expecting some news about the next generation of video game consoles. I have an Xbox360 so I am looking forward to what the Xbox720 will be like, if that's what they're going to call it. My son has already started asking for a laptop for next Christmas. He has so many problems writing with his hand that I think it might be beneficial for him. My wallet does groan at the thought of it though.

I was wondering whether to upgrade out home PC to Windows 8. This is at an offer price during January and I don't know what to do for the best. Our Windows 7 machine isn't that old but is starting to slow down, I think a change might be a good thing for it.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I like technology, but as a poor-ish person I tend to lag way behind the trends. I have an elderly desktop computer at home. My phone is a Blackberry, which I actually like quite a bit...but it does make me feel left out when everyone is swiping at their screens. I really want a little tablet or notebook sometime!

Tara said...

I'm a fan of techie gadgets too, and have been so tempted to buy an iPhone. I'll resist and just stick with my no-contract, no thrills, just-for-emergency cellphone, though. I do love playing with the iPod I bought last year, though.

FW said...

LB: I lag behind as well, my tablet is much cheaper than an iPad would be. I'm lucky my wife is so generous I guess, most of my money is eaten up on essentials. Nothing wrong with a Blackberry in my book.

Tara: It's harder sometimes to stick with the tech you need when companies push advertising down your throat to make us all want the latest gear. Phone manufacturers seem to be particularly bad at trying to sell the latest phones when you might not need all the bells and whistles. I bet a large percentage of people with smartphones could get on just fine without that amount of computing power in their pocket. Stick with what you need is my advice.