Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Hobbit

Well I finally watched The Hobbit this evening, what a film! It was one of those rare times when a film is long but you don't feel that it was unnecessarily long. No point did I think it dragged on. It held my attention for the whole of the film. I hope the other two films in the series are similarly paced.
Whilst I haven't read The Lord of the Rings, I have read The Hobbit. I believe the story is fantastic, I enjoyed it when I read it for myself and I've enjoyed reading it to my children. It is often known as a children's bestseller but I think it's part of that slim collection of books that are equally enjoyable to children and adults. The book cover of the version I first read is depicted below. The version my children have is different, the second cover below is the one my brother had  - the first cover of the story I saw.
Back to the film, I liked it and thought the casting was as excellent as that of the LOFTR films. If you haven't seen the film, it is one I would recommend but I would say if you have no interest in any of the Tolkien stories then firstly why are you reading my blog and secondly you probably have no intention of seeing the film and I don't think it's for you. That said, for everyone else, I say it's a great film.



2 comments:

laura b. said...

haha! Confession - I read your blog, in spite of my lack of deep interest in Fantasy novels.
But I still like hearing what others enjoy reading and viewing. The second installment, The Desolation of Smaug, is slated for release Dec. 13.

FW said...

LB: I know what you mean about lacking deep interest in fantasy books. I was looking at several volumes of David Eddings work in a charity shop yesterday and eventually thought no, I'm never going to read these!