Monday, September 23, 2013

The Dark Tower series

I had a pretty hectic week at work last week, hence lack of blog activity. However, at the weekend I had a chance to unwind a bit and do some reading, watching and listening of various things. More to come about that later in the week. I was visiting the various charity shops we have in town on Saturday and I had the opportunity to pick up the first book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. And then in another of the shops I saw the second book in the series. So I managed to get the first two books in a series by an author whose body of work is amazing. I'm looking forward to reading the series. I am almost at the end of my current book and after that I have another to read but then I'm into the King. I haven't read a Stephen King since Firestarter, a long long time ago and as far as I can remember the only book by him that I've read. It seems amazing that I haven't read others but I truly can't remember reading any of them - in this I include Christine, Cujo, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Pet Sematary, Carrie and The Dead Zone (basically all the ones associated with giant box office films).

2 comments:

laura b. said...

I am a quasi-fan of Stephen King. I admire his drive and distinctive voice as a writer. I have read some of what he's written, but haven't felt compelled to read every single thing.
I understand that his Dark Tower series is quite different from most of his other work. I'd like to hear your thoughts after you've gotten into it. :)

FW said...

LB: I haven't read much of his work but his name is so well known through films that it's easy for me to think I know what his books will be like, however I don't really. So I'm looking forward to reading him.