Saturday, August 23, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

It's weird how some things go viral on the Internet. The latest I've seen is the ice bucket challenge, so many people have posted up videos of themselves doing this, including famous stars and celebrities. I didn't know what ALS was before so it must have driven up donations and traffic to the charity's website vastly. ALS stands for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and I may be over-simplifying but it is what we in the UK know as Motor Neurone Disease. I think people post their videos because there is something fun about seeing other people's reaction to the shock of cold water and there is something of showmanship about it. I think some videos exist just because people want to jump on the bandwagon and be part of the phenomenon. That's why personally, I won't be taking the challenge.

No comments: