Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hello again, hello

It's good to be back! I feel refreshed and reinvigorated. It's probably down to spending a week away from work and home last week - we all went to the seaside for a week. Even though the weather was mixed we had a good time, did I mention we managed to walk about 40 miles in total during the week? Pretty good going I think. My left calf muscle has been aching a bit last couple of days but tonight it seems to be OK. It's good to be home but when you're away and the day when you have to return home is approaching there's a feeling you get that is half-glad and half-sad, sad because it's nice to do things different for a while. Even the small things like the changes you have to make in how you prepare your food can seem like quite big. It teaches you that changing behaviour is not that hard and that change can be good. Having to live differently is also good to demonstrate how adaptable you can be. Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about small changes here - we stayed in an apartment so the only major differences beside location for us were the facilities available for washing, cooking etc. It's not like we were living in a remote island or anything. Being somewhere else, in someone else's place without making it your own, is like living as a different person for a while. That's probably part of what I needed. Something to think about, anyway...

4 comments:

Tara said...

Welcome back, FW! I'm happy that you and the family were able to get away for awhile, especially to the seaside! You're right, a brief change of pace and scenery can do wonders.

When I'm staying somewhere else on vacation I find that I don't worry about the little things as much. I'm less obsessive compulsive, too.

FW said...

Sounds like getting away is generally a good thing for us.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Glad to see you back.. A rest is something we all need once in awhile...welcome back you were sorely missed..

laura b. said...

It is wonderful to see you again, FW!
Sometimes getting away is truly the best possible thing for everyone. I'm glad you guys had fun and got lots of good walking in.