Tuesday, August 21, 2007

TV Thoughts

The new series of the UK version of X Factor began last Saturday, the viewing figures were something like 11 million. This is very good for a UK Saturday evening show these days, long gone are the days when figures were much higher for Saturday evening variety shows. My wife looks forward to the X Factor not for the show itself but the knowledge that it begins the run-up to Christmas (when the series traditionally finishes). The show itself began with a tension between the judges, Brian Friedman (US dance expert) was eventually replaced after the first week with Louis Walsh (who was unceremoniously sacked after the last series). We are led to believe that "the chemistry" is right again and miraculously the acts started improving and more were let through. I'm not sure I would have let some of the acts in that they did but they're the experts. What I didn't realise and what is never made clear is that the judges only see a proportion of the acts that are let through by the shows producers. This knowledge ruins for me the parts with truly terrible singers, it just feels exploitative: I know (newsflash: music industry exploits the young!) but combined with lowering the age limit to 14 year olds I feel more and more uncomfortable. Perhaps I'm just being a grumpy old fart.

2 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

There are so many new reality shows on nowadays that I can't keep track.. I will watch the odd one but it's not like I'm addicted ...not at all....lol

laura b. said...

I am a bit addicted to American Idol and there is that same thing going on, where the judges cannot possibly see every single contestant that comes through. Unless they are extraordinarily weird (and bad) or have some sort of interesting story (plus talent) they aren't going to make it to television.