Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

It’s a busy weekend for us. My children’s school disco was Friday night, so I had to be a taxi. In between journeys I treated us to a Chinese takeaway from a shop we don’t often use. the food was really good though but we ordered way too much! Watching the children leave the disco was funny, all hot, sweaty and tired and covered with fake tattoos. Mummies were all red in the face, also tired. At least it finished at 8pm, early enough to get kids in bed and still have some time afterwards before retiring to bed.

Yesterday we spent much of the day in Oxford. I love walking the narrow backstreets of Oxford, its such an old town with such amazing history. My children were playing Harry Potter as we looked into windows of the jewellery shops: it was just like Diagon Alley with the numbers of people. The gargoyles on the colleges also fascinated them. We actually saw the touring show of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and I have to say it was excellent. The stage sets were great and the car effects were magnificent. I loved the car as a kid and it brought all those memories back to life.

3 comments:

Tara said...

The more I watch the first Harry Potter, the more I question Hagrid for leaving him alone at the train station without giving him a hint of how to get to Platform 9 3/4. If he hadn't met Ron Weisley, how would he have ever figured it out??

Anyway! I love how disco makes its way into Christmas parties. I'm jealous about the face painting, though! :)

laura b. said...

Sounds like a great school party and a very fun weekend.

I haven't seen the movie version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in many years, although I loved it as a kid. Hanging my head in shame as I admit I haven't yet read the book.

FW said...

Tara: True, I always look for the entrance to platform 9 3/4 when I visit Kings Cross Station. I've never found it!

L.B.: I've not read the book either but I like Ian Fleming's Bond novels.