Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The predictability of chemicals

I've just eaten a lovely nectarine. It was very ripe and juicy and was one of the white flesh variety, I don't know which country they originate from. They are very very nice though, shame there is only 4 in the pack.
I was thinking that nearly all sweets have chemical flavourings to make them taste similar to the fruits we love. The advantage of chemical flavouring is that the flavour can be strong and predictable, which is as we all know, not exactly always the experience we get with real fruit. It is a shame that the taste isn't as important as the fibre and nutrients.
What's your favourite sweet that tastes like fruit?Probably worth a clarification here: by sweets I mean confectionary items.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

You've just nailed the big problem with actual fruit...you can never be entirely sure of how it will end up tasting!
My favorite fruit flavored sweet are those sort of fruit gel things...they are usually shaped like a slice of fruit and covered in sugar. I think they are just called 'fruit slices'.

Tara said...

I like pear-flavored Jelly Belly jellybeans!

FW said...

LB: I like those too but sometimes the jelly consistency can vary - I prefer the jelly that is hard and quite chewy.

Tara: Yes those are tasty too!