Monday, June 11, 2012

Magazines

I don't currently buy a regular magazine. But I have done in the past. It's probably a habit I got from my brother because he used to buy a lot. They covered computing, music, photography, cycling, cars and camping/outdoors. Magazines I've bought regularly (more than 5 issues) in my past have included:

Crash (ZX Spectrum games)
Kerrang (heavy metal)
Select (alternative music)
Classic CD (classical music)
Xbox 360: The Official Magazine (gaming)
Q (music)
Metal Hammer (heavy metal)
Classic Rock (heavy rock)
Maxim (mens general fashion/style)
Linux Format
PC Plus
PC Advisor
Computer Arts
PC Answers
Photo Plus
.Net
Computer Arts
Digital Photographer


If I added up the cost over the years it would be a bit of an eye opener. The main reason I used to buy magazines for was to read reviews. I did read feature articles but they were not driving the purchasing decision. The second reason was to hear music or install some new software.

The niche that magazines fulfilled for me has largely been taken over now by the web. It's really a surprise that magazines are still being published today with so much free content available on the web. Reviews can be published instantly without having to wait. Software is widely available for download. Podcasts and vodcasts can be recorded and distributed with a few clicks. Feedback can be given instantly too through comments and liking and rating. No longer do we have to wait to see readers letters published.

Yes, magazines are having a hard time at the moment. I still enjoy the covers and the paper and the glossy photos though. Perhaps devices like the iPad can keep magazines alive in the digital world.

Can you imagine walking into a newsagent and instead of physical paper magazines seeing a wall of monitors where you can browse digital editions by touching the screens? Well, that could be done at home on the Smart TV screen I guess. My, how life is changing for us with technology that's out there now.

This started out as a post to say how much I used to like buying magazines and a lament that I don't feel I have to buy any now. But it has turned out to be a comment on the digital age

3 comments:

Tara said...

I used to subscribe to "Premiere" magazine because I loved movies so much. Then I got tired of paying for the subscription. My brother subscribed me to a magazine he liked one year. It wasn't my thing, but I appreciated a free subscription.

My mom is subscribed to a magazine/booklet called "A Simple Life" and it has photos upon photos of antiques and primitives, including side stories. She loves it.

laura b. said...

I have always read magazines purely for fluffy entertainment...selcom for anything really edifying. I have no subscriptions currently, but in the past have enjoyed things like Vanity Fair, Entertainment Weekly, and Rolling Stone.
I guess I do get most of that same fix on the web these days.

FW said...

Tara: I've had about 3 subscriptions but never lasted more than 12 issues or so. It is a cheaper way to get magazines though I suppose but it is a commitment so I can understand why a gift subscription is a good gift. It keeps on giving :)

LB: I know what you mean, I dip into the sections I like and rarely read the whole thing through.